Sunday, February 8, 2015

First project. Remaking a classic Sounter-Strike 1.6 map for CS:Go Source engine


   The last two years I`ve been watching how Counter-Strike:Global Offensive is developing and finally decided to buy it. After about 80 hours of gameplay I've noticed that the game itself seems very similar to it's predecessor - Counter-Strike 1.6. The developers tried to bring all the things we loved in ye olde 1.6 to Source Engine. They've also added so much new stuff to the game, so now it looks up-to-date.
    However, there was one thing I missed in CS:GO - fun pvp maps, that we had played on public servers in the times of Internet cafés. After downloading several maps from workshop and checking out the community servers, I've decided to make my own thing. 

That's how my first project started!


Remake of fy_iceworld map for Counter-Strike: Global offensive. 

Having absolutely no experience in creating maps for Source engine, the first thing that I did was researching Google and Valve Developer Community. After spending n+1 hours reading, I've made an approximate working plan for my project: 
  1. Decompiling an original.bsp file and importing it in CS:Go Hammer editor.
  2. Rebuilding maps architecture to avoid leaks
  3. Making a skybox and light enviroment
  4. Adding players and weapons entities to map
  5. Extracting textures from .wad files and importing them to Hammer editor. 
  6. Making materials and applying textures
  7. Creating the mapname.kv file to set the player models
  8. Making a custom radar. 
  9. Creating the mapname.txt description file and uploading the map to the steam workshop.
I've decided to write this blog while learning the map modelling in Hammer editor. Here I will post my releases, developer notes and tutorials for begginers to make their own maps. If you're a professional source engine developer, skip the tutorials and go directly to the map release.

Yours trully, 
loshadka 

No comments:

Post a Comment